Hebrew 9:7 But into the second [veil] went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:
- John 10:15-17 “As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.”
- Matthew 26:28″For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.”
We really need to focus on what is being done here… look intently at the word ‘testament’. According to the Websters online dictionary… Testament means: “
1a: a tangible proof or tribute. b: an expression of conviction : CREED
2a: an act by which a person determines the disposition of his or her property after death.
While I am in full agreement with those definitions, I find, many are focused just on the first definition. Funny thing about God… he is all about fullness. Fullness of the meaning and depth of every word he uses to speak to his people. The Greek word here being used by the writer is G1242 διαθήκη diatheke (d̮iy-a-thee’-kee) n.
- (properly) a disposition.
- (specially) a contract (especially a devisory will).
Combine these attributes and see what happens…..
The Creator of Heaven and Earth, The King of Kings, and Our Great High Priest, gave us tangible proof of His perfect Sacrifice. It is our expression of conviction when we lay down our lives so that He can take it up again in Glory. We are His prize possession and he will present us (dispose) to Himself at the end of days. This is the contract. “If I go prepare a place for you…”
Hebrew 9:8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
There is a problem in the relationship with the people since the days of Jeremiah, the people are and have been for a long time now, divorced from YHVH. Recalling our discussion on the Law of the Divorced Woman; this law is why the people could not enter into the “holiest of all”. The relationship had to be repaired, it was the only way to repair the covenant and restore our proximity to YHVH.
Hebrew 9:9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
Hebrew 9:10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. (the Oral-Law of tradition, the Mishnah or Pharisaic law)
To the disdain of the Pharisees, perfection of the people only comes by way of YHVH stripping the carnal flesh leaving only the spirit/soul of the person. What made this action possible in the first disposition of mankind was to carry out the actions prescribed by the ordinances when one had committed lawlessness or broke the Torah. Paul is speaking to the condition of the people that have dedicated their lives to pleasing these Pharisees, who, had now become unbearable tyrants.
Hebrews 9:11 But Christ being come (Our Mediator) an high priest (Priesthood) of good things to come (to be imminent), by a greater (magnified) and more perfect (Torah) tabernacle (Temple), not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
All 4 of the Key Elements to enable mankind to have relationship with YHVH.
I am no expert here, but, I find it absolutely amazing that the Perfect Savior answers our call to 9-1-1.
Hebrew 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place (the very presence of YHWH), having obtained eternal redemption for us.
Hebrew 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean (profane), sanctifieth (to make holy) to the purifying (spiritual acceptance) of the flesh:
Hebrew 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge (purify) your conscience (moral perception) from dead works (empty actions) to serve (render homage) the living God?
Again we have to reflect upon the crowd that Paul is speaking to here… lifelong followers of Torah AND the Pharisees. The empty or worthless actions were the bloated additions to the Torah in the “traditions of the elders” as mentioned in Mark chapter seven.
- Mark 7:3-5 “For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders. And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables. Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?”
This isn’t a question of true cleanliness, this is all about a tradition, this is about control and the elevation of the Pharisees. The Talmud used the requirement of handwashing in Leviticus 15:11 as a hint for general handwashing law and Halakha requires the hands to be washed before eating a meal containing bread. Halakha is the collective body of Jewish religious laws that are derived from the written and Oral Torah. Halakha is based on biblical commandments (mitzvot), subsequent Talmudic and rabbinic laws, and the customs and traditions which were compiled in the many books such as the Shulchan Aruch.
Now look at the answer given them directly from Yeshua….
- Mark 7:6-9 “He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.”
Hebrew 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator (go-between) of the new (distinctly better) testament (disposition/execution of the will), that by means of death, for the redemption (complete ransom) of the transgressions (violations) that were under the first (original) testament (expression of conviction),[Mt. Saini] they which are called (assembly of believers) might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
After wading knee deep through the first 14 verses of this chapter, I believe this verse to be one of the top 5 verses most misunderstood by the modern era church. Which cause? Because the Pharisees had so convoluted the Everlasting Gospel? Yes! Because the pathway to YHVH had been mixed with the ways of the pagans? Yes!
Hebrew 9:16 For where a testament (disposition/execution of the will.) is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.(a person who has died and left a valid will)
Hebrew 9:17 For a testament (disposition/execution of the will.) is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
Hebrew 9:18 Whereupon neither the first testament (specially) a contract (especially a devisory will) was dedicated without blood.
Hebrew 9:19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law [Torah], he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
Hebrew 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament(specially) a contract (especially a devisory will) which God hath enjoined (commanded) unto you.
Watch closely as once again Yeshua fulfils the 4 Key Elements of Relationship….
Hebrew 9:21 Moreover he sprinkled (Mediator) with blood (Sacrifice) both the tabernacle,(Temple) and all the vessels of the ministry. (Priesthood)
Hebrew 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.(Torah/Law)
Returning to the earthly contract…
Hebrew 9:23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these (A mediator and blood); but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.(blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop)
Paul is explaining how the death of Yeshua, the use of his blood upon the heavenly altar is the ultimate fulfillment of the Torah and the Everlasting Gospel. This is done with a perfect sacrifice and thus satisfies the blood required for a permanent contract with YHVH for salvation unto those that believe in YHVH.
Hebrew 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures (just examples) of the true (what actually exists in glory); but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
Hebrew 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often (not to repeat this and make it common), as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
The Pharisees turned it into a business, like todays book tours, there were public forums where their prowess and notoriety could be increased.
Hebrew 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world*: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin (lawlessness) by the sacrifice of himself.
*Imagine how YHVH must have suffered each time He witnessed one of his innocent creation slaughtered at our expense.
Hebrew 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Hebrew 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
- Revelation 5:3-5 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
- 1 Corinthians 15:50-55 “Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
Leave a Reply