4 Now I say, That the heir (Yeshua), as long as he is a child (underage [of accountability]), differeth nothing from a servant (fully devoted), though he be lord (in control) of all;
2 But is under tutors (one who is entrusted with an executive charge) and governors (a steward of the Gospel, its gifts, or its truths) until the time appointed of the father.
3 Even so we, when we were children (immature believers), were in bondage (to sin) under the elements (fundamental principles) of the world: (orderly arrangements, governments and the powers he tells us about in Ephesians; the Scribes and Pharisees were in control of the Torah’s adherence until such time God was to send the Son to pay the sacrifice required by the Torah.)
4 But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman (flesh), made under the law (Torah),
- Ezekiel 18:4 “Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
- Hebrews 2:14 “Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;”
- 1 John 3:4-5 “Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.”
- In living a life that did not break Torah, “the law”, when his flesh met death his soul did not die. This establishes the precedent for us to understand; It will take a life lived according to Torah, or a PROPITIATION, to break free from spiritual death.
5 To redeem (pay the ransom) them that were under the law (Torah), that we might receive the adoption of sons.
- 1 John 2:2 “And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
- Romans 3:25 “Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.”
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son (“birthed out” on a mission) into your hearts (minds, rational inner man), crying (to call out), Abba, Father.
- This is the goal of the Messiah….. to get us to call out to the Father YHWH for his mercy and salvation.
- Romans 8:9 “But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. (Holy Spirit) Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”
- The Ruach HaKodesh IS the essence of Yeshua
- John 10:30 “I and my Father are one.”– and it is the fullness of the “heart” or mind of Messiah. Each human being, other than Yeshua, we were given an independent spirit, which originally proceeded from YHWH, that must submit to the Spirit of YHWH in order to enjoin, or better yet rejoin, YHWH in His will.
- 2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
- Ezekiel 36:26-27 “A new heart [mindset] also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh [body], and I will give you an heart of flesh [full, fresh]. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.”
- Romans 6:12 ,15 “Let not sin [the influence of Satan to ignore Gods commands] therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. What then? shall we sin [transgress the Torah], because we are not under the law [of sin equaling eternal death] , but under grace? God forbid.”
7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant (slave), but a son; and if a son, then an heir (sharer of the promise) of God through Christ.
8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service (be subservient to) unto them which by nature are no gods.
- a supernatural, powerful entity- these were people that served the gods of the Gentile world
- Colossians 2:8 “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”
- Colossians 2:20-22 “Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,(Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly (distressed) elements (fundamental principles), whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
- for the gentiles = the false god practices – and the Jews going back to Judaism.
- Acts 15:1-5 “And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question. And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren. And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them. But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”
- This is the condition they required to happen BEFORE they were considered “saved” or converted to faith. Paul never tells them that they were to disregard the Torah. They concluded the orderly conduct for these evangelists in verses 20, 21 that the people would be considered “saved” or “converted” immediately and they can walk out their faith through Torah as they grow and learn.
- Acts 15:20-21 “But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day.”
- Ephesians 4:15 “But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ”
- 1 Peter 2:2 “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby”
10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
(This is Pagan celestial calendar, Estore, Asherah, Isis-Horus)
11 I am afraid (alarmed) of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour (actions) in vain.
12 Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: (mutual respect) ye have not injured (done wrong) me at all.
13 Ye know how through infirmity (weakness) of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first.
14 And my temptation (adversity/humbled) which was in my flesh (humanity) ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel (messenger) of God, even (in the same manner) as Christ Jesus.
15 Where is then the blessedness (attributes of good fortune) ye spake of? for I bear (testify) you record (witness), that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. (your belief was so strong; “you should have seen what we saw!”)
16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? (Have things here in Galatia changed so much that you now oppose the truth?)
17 They (pagans) zealously (jealous desire) affect you (cause you), but not well (untruthfully); yea, they would exclude you (say you are not converts or saved), that ye might affect them.
- They are telling the Galatians [incorrectly/malice] to their cause/benefit = CONTROL)
- Galatians 4:17 (ISV) –“These people who have been instructing you are devoted to you, but not in a good way. They want you to avoid me so that you will be devoted to them.”
18 But it is good to be zealously affected always in a good thing, and not only when I am present with you. (You should be keeping to the faith in Yeshua at all times.)
19 My little children (spiritual infants), of whom I travail in birth (experience birth pains; heartbreak of watching them grow up) again until Christ be formed (becomes fundamentally sound) in you,
20 I desire to be present with you now, and to change (transform) my voice (reports); for I stand in doubt (perplexed) of you. (people are leaving the faith for various reasons and returning to former ways)
21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? (Do you not hear how burdensome are these traditions of men?)
22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh (human desires); but he of the freewoman was by promise. (The fulfilled Word of YHVH)
24 Which things are an allegory*: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
[*a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral one.]
25 For this Agar (Hagar) is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
- Hebrews 3:18-19 “And to whom did he swear that they would never enter his rest? It was to those who disobeyed him, was it not? So we see that they were unable to enter because of their unbelief.”
26 But Jerusalem which is above (YHVH’s heavenly realm- salvation by faith through Yeshua) is free, which is the mother of us all.
- Romans 1:5 “By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:”
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.(Meaning Sarah and children of the promise.)
- Matthew 7:14 “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.”
- Isaiah 54:1 “Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the Lord.”
- 1 Peter 2:7-8 “Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.”
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
We are the House of Israel
when we are “buried with Christ”.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh (Hagar) persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, (Sarah) even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman (Hagar) and her son: for the son of the bondwoman (Hagar) shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. (Sarah)
Revelation 2:9 “I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.”
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman (Hagar), but of the free. (Sarah)
Revelation 3:9 “Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.”
Verses 22-31 Tells the people the adherence to the ways of mankind will always be slavery to traditions and an inexhaustible list of rules that do not belong to the Kingdom of Heaven. The only commands that should be followed are those bound in the promises of God (Torah) as they are present to protect us from harm in the world that is currently controlled by Satan. This is not done to secure salvation, it is done out of the desire to connect with God in a personal and community relationship.