19 Holding* faith**, and a good*** conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
(*G2192 ἔχω echo (e’-chō) v.to hold (such as a possession) **G4102 πίστις pistis (piy’-stis) n. a reliance upon Jesus for salvation. ***G4893 συνείδησις suneidesis (sïn-ei’-d̮ee-sis) n. moral consciousness. Dictionary definition: “the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior” The only definition of what is ‘right and wrong’ concerning human behavior is found within Torah!)
20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.
Hymenaeus and Philetus were teaching the Gnostic doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which in essence was a doctrine similar to the teachings of the Sadducees, which stated that there was no such thing as the resurrection of the body.
- Matthew 22:23 “On that day some Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to Jesus and questioned Him”;
- Luke 20:27 “Now there came to Him some of the Sadducees (who say that there is no resurrection”;
- Acts 23:8 “For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, nor an angel, nor a spirit, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all.”
This flies in the face of Paul’s teachings in 1 Corinthians 15:52 “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.”
Paul is teaching this based on the transfiguration of Yeshua.
- Matthew 17:2 “And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.”
- Mark 9:2 “And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.
Nicholas (thus his followers were the Nicolaitins) taught that one could continue in polytheism together with faith in Jesus. Wrong! These doctrines found their way into the early church.
LikeLiked by 1 person
And still hang in today