I caught the headlines and briefly thought on the story of Hawk Nelson.
Then, nothing, shocking I know. Here is the story if you are not familiar.
If Jon Steingard finds this post, I pray he does not take this personally. There were many more before him (Whitney Houston comes to mind) and will be many after. Its not about him, or them, specifically. This is about the church incorporated.
Hawk’s disconnect with the church comes because they could not answer some basic questions about the faith. They didn’t even offer up the “canned” answer – “because”. Remember that as a kid?
Dad can I go to Billy’s house?
Because I said so!
- Revelation 3:15-16 “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou were cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.”
- “because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law [Torah] of your God, I also will forget your children.”
- Matthew 5:18 “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law [Torah], till all be fulfilled.”
John 7:16 “Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.”
Matthew 15:9 “But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.”
Isaiah 8:16 “Bind up the testimony , seal the law  among my disciples.”
- H8584 תְּעוּדָה t`uwdah (teh-oo-daw’) n-f. attestation, i.e. a precept, usage.
- H8451 תּוֹרָה towrah (to-raw’) n-f. 1. a teaching precept or statute. 2. (formally) a law.
- H3928 לִמּוּד limmuwd (lim-mood’) adj. instructed, learned, taught ones.
- G3101 μαθητής mathetes (ma-thee-tees’) n. a learner, i.e. pupil.
- G3957 πάσχα pascha (pas’-cha) aram. the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival and the special sacrifices connected with it).
For those in the ‘WWJD’ crowd….. Jesus followed Torah.
The point to consider:
if there were not evil people in the world
there would be no need for a Savior.
Mr. Steingard’s next issue is “God says not to kill then He instructs the children of Israel to kill all the people in order to gain the Promised Land. Why?” citing this is a conflict.
Genesis 6:4-5 “There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”
Isn’t it strange that people have no problem with David and Goliath but never question where that story originates? Goliath was a Philistine and a direct descendant of the fallen angelic beings of Genesis 6.
There are far too many direct references in Scripture and in historical documents to ignore that these entities existed.
Numbers 13:33 “And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.”
- Matthew 10:28 “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.”
God used people to accomplish the task. In times past he had used plagues, flood, whirlwinds and a myriad of natural disasters to eliminate the wicked. There are warnings of the same for the future.
- Revelation 11:4-5 “These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.”
While on the topic of death and killing. Mr. Steingard asks “why was it even necessary for Jesus to die?” To which I stand in utter confusion to his questioning. This is a man that has been raised his whole life to know what is sacrificial substitutionary atonement. Or maybe not? Or what a covenant is…. maybe not.
I know in my own experience of more than 35 years in the church these topics in conjunction with the Torah were NEVER taught. Note: I said “in conjunction with Torah”. The two are mutually synonymous to the whole of Jesus’s teachings, Paul’s teachings, Peter’s, the gospels and Revelation.
Luke 10:25-26 (KJV)
“And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? [Torah] how readest thou?”
The unsuspecting answer, given before the death of Christ and before He teaches these same words, Jesus confirms the words given by the inquisitor. The lawyer quotes Deuteronomy 6.
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
The very terrifying issue for the corporate church is the responsibility they bare in their desire to control their religious empires. Four times in Ezekiel alone we see the priests mingling the pagan actions of the neighboring civilizations and Gods warnings.
- Ezekiel 3:18 “When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.”
- also vs. 3:20, 33:6, 33:8
It is also worth noting that the general congregant is to blame here. So Mr. Steingard, it is up to you to get these answers when other humans fail to have one ready. Which is also addressed….
- 1 Peter 3:15 “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you”
- 2 Timothy 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
Philippians 2:12 “Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”
Luke 11:10 “For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.”
For me personally, I pray for all leaders religious and civilian, all of humanity really,
that they may discover the One ….. the King of Righteousness …. and follow his lead….. and soon!