Matthew 4:4 …detailed
“But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
(Matt 4:4 But G1161 he answered G611 and said G2036, It is written G1125, Man G444 shall G2198 not G3756 live G2198 by G1909 bread G740 alone G3441, but G235 by G1909 every G3956 word G4487 that proceedeth G1607 out of G1223 the mouth G4750 of God G2316.)
G1161 δέ de (d̮e’) conj. (additionally) and
G611 ἀποκρίνομαι apokrinomai (a-po-kriy’-no-mai) v. to respond
G2036 ἔπω epo (e’-pō) v. to speak
G1125 γράφω grapho (gra’-fō) v. to describe
G444 ἄνθρωπος anthropos (an’-thrō-pos) n. (literally) man†-visage (i.e. a man-faced being, a man who has visibly come of age).
G2198 ζάω zao (zaō’) v. to live.
G3756 οὐ ou (ou) prt. Not
G1909 ἐπί epi (e-piy’) prep. Upon
G740 ἄρτος artos (ar’-tos) n. bread loaf
G3441 μόνος monos (mo’-nos) adj. merely
G235 ἀλλά alla (al-la’) conj. Nevertheless, therefore, indeed
G3956 πᾶς pas (pas’) adj. all, any, every, the whole.
G4487 ῥήμα rhema (rhee’-ma) n. of narration, command or topic
G1607 ἐκπορεύομαι ekporeuomai (ek-po-rev’-o-mai) v. be discharged, proceed, project
G1223 διά dia (d̮iy-a’) prep. through.
G4750 στόμα stoma (sto’-ma) n. 1. the mouth (as if a gash in the face). 2. (by implication) language (and its relations).
G2316 θεός theos (the-os’) n. God, the Supreme Being, the Creator, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Yahweh by name.
“Additionally” Yeshua responded, “Live not upon the bread only, indeed live by the whole command given by the mouth of YHWH.”
What Yeshua is telling us here is very obvious. That He is the sacrifice for sin and that we are to adhere to the Torah.
- John 6:33 “For the bread of God is the One who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
- John 6:48 “I am the bread of life.”
Yeshua goes on to explain this to the disciples in a teachable moment.
Matthew 14:19 “Then He commanded the crowds to sit down on the grass. He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, He blessed them. He broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds.”
This is a visible parable for the disciples. It happens in real time. The 5 loaves represent the 5 books of the Torah. This is the Word of God that proceeded from YHWH’s mouth.
- Exodus 24:12 The Lord said to Moses, “Come up to Me on the mountain and stay there so that I may give you the stone tablets with the law and commandments I have written for their instruction.”
- John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
The two fish represent the testimony of the righteous.
- Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
- Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
(Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.)
Leave a Reply